Saturday, February 28, 2009

Assignment 1

My mini doco DV was filmed over 3 days on approximately 45mins worth of tape. I have been chronicling it somewhat on Facebook so I thought I'd share a preview:

Maria is glad that Day 3 of filming is over!
5:59pm - Comment -
Maria Tan at 6:31pm February 26

Today was a bloody nightmare.

  1. I was carrying around a lot of equipment
  2. I had to queue up at Central Station for 20mins to use the ladies
  3. My backpack broke while in the ladies
  4. I got on location an the lifts were broken
  5. I walked up 5 flights of stairs
  6. I talked too much s@*% during the interview
  7. My backpack decided to work momentarily and gushed open after I was out in the street
  8. I bought an $80 replacement backpack

Maria Tan at 7:43pm February 26
Hmm today just keeps getting better and better.

I thought there was a mouse in the oven, I could hear clawing on metal. Turns it out was a bird. In the exhaust fan!

Carmen Li at 11:28am February 27
@_@... good luck today!

Maria Tan at 3:14pm February 27
Hehe thanks, after the bird fiasco I thought I should go to bed early in case anything else decided to surprise me :)


There were a few minor problems, and one day of filming was cancelled due to the talent backing out. This changed my opening sequence to a building site which incorporated less shots, so I decided to get a bit clever with the intro by using PIP.

In the end I had it all done in time which I'm stoked about.


Post Production

After some early hiccups with Premiere Pro CS4, I decided not to risk missing deadline by trying to use it and instead used my other PC with Premiere Pro CS3 loaded onto it. It took about 1hr to capture footage, ~1hr to 1.5hrs to cut pix and lay the VO which I recorded using Sonic Foundry Acid Pro.

The fine tuning took me around 1.5hrs or so to
correct the image and audio levels, apply transitions, effects, and supers etc. I encoded almost 10 different versions and uploaded them onto Facebook to test stream quality which took up the longest time, maybe 4hrs or so altogether.


Lessons Learned

  • Power supply interrupts mic input quality, no matter how good the mic is (lesson re-learned)
  • Cherish functional backpack zips
  • Remember to raise tripod to eye level (on MCU/CU of talent)

No comments:

Post a Comment