Thursday, February 12, 2009

Characteristics of Digital Video

My understanding of digital video has been in the literal sense, a digitized video. I have been thinking of “digital video” as a process itself, of uploading video onto the computer to digitize it for example, and separate from the editing and post production process. To me it was just a computerized form of video.


I guess I hadn’t thought about it beyond that until today, but now I can see that there is so much more to the term.


After some thought I would have to say my new understanding of digital video is a collaboration of sound and images in motion from many different sources that have been made compatible with computer technology in order to reassemble them together into one cohesive output for presentation.


Digital media has played a major role in transforming cinema, especially in terms of special effects and animation. For example, digital media can now be used to create an entire animated movie, such as Shrek, or a character such as Gollum in Lord of The Rings. I believe the concept of cinema originally was to reproduce images and sound, now they can be created without having physically existed.


My favourite digital video would have to be the Dove Evolution commercial because it highlights how digital media is changing our perception, in this case, of beauty.



No comments:

Post a Comment