Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cathie's Settings: Assignment 1

I created a version with a new bitrate of 1150kbps which has improved the picture quality (e.g. 0:12-0:16 in this version has better clarity than the last version). However the filesize increased from ~30mb to ~378mb without PAL to Streaming so I continued to play around with the settings until I had something smaller to output.

I re-edited the audio by increasing the gain on NATSOT for some clips, fixed up some volume problems and tried to de-esser Shannon a little bit manually as the filter in Premiere Pro and Soundbooth was degrading the overall sound quality of her grabs.

This version worked best in 1024 but instead of square pixels I used DV 1.067 as the square pixels kept adding black bars to the picture.

Final video, tweaking Cathie's Settings:


PAL to Streaming 1024 preset

File Path: E:\DV assignment 1\CathiesSettingsv5.mov
Type: QuickTime Movie
File Size: 30.5 MB
Image Size: 720 x 576
Pixel Depth: 720
Frame Rate: 25.00
Source Audio Format: 32000 Hz - 16 bit - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:01:57:24
Average Data Rate: 264 KB / second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.067

QuickTime Details:
Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
There are 2949 frames with a duration of 1/25th.

Video track 1:
Duration is 0:01:57:24
Average frame rate is 25.00 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 720 x 576
Compressor = H.264
Quality = Most (5.00)
Temporal = Most (5.00)

Audio:
Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
Format = 16 bit - Stereo
Rate = 32,000.0000 Hz
Compressor = 16-bit Big Endian (uncompressed)

5 comments:

  1. WOW!!! That is a really professional piece Maria, you should be very pleased and proud of what you have achieved in this. Puts mine to shame :(
    I really like the use of cutaway shots you have used to emphasise different points in particular the shots of different media types. It is very clever, I'm well impressed!
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,

    I've looked at your video on facebook, the quality is good. I can see now that you've re-exported that the opening sequence is the only section with elongated compression, the other areas are fine. This means that the elongation is actually in the effect that you've edited in Premiere.

    Regarding the file size I thinks what's happening is the settings I've given you are set for Adobe Media Encoder in Premiere Pro CS3, and it looks like you may be using CS4. Is that correct? IF you are using CS4 what's happened is that you haven't halfed the quality - see 'Quality' in the Settings I gave is at 50 (which should greatly reduce the size of the file). In the test I did it came to 18mbs. You could also try reducing the image size from 720 x 576 to 352 x 258.

    I'll need to have a look at Media Encoder in CS4 on Friday to see what the differences in the settings are. Can you post some info of your experiments with compression on the Discussion Board on Blackboard as it may be able to help some of the other students, or they may be able to suggest something.

    I'm impressed that you've kept working at the encoding to improve the result, it's important to have the tenacity to do this. This is how you get results and improvements. Good work, Cathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dan :)

    I am my own worst critic of course so I naturally spot all the things I don't like about the vid.

    Plus, your supers put my supers to shame. Although I don't know if artistic supers would've suited my vid...but it definitely adds depth to your vid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cathie :)

    Ahh the opening sequence. Ok well when I edited the PIP, I didn't keep the aspect ratio with those 3 pix as they were originally square, and to fill the screen space in thirds I needed to morph them so they would fit together as rectangles.

    I tried them originally as squares in the centre but found they were too small, so that's when I decided to change them with unconstrained proportions which is why they look a bit long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Maria, I'm impressed. Makes me feel very amateurish. Is there anything you can't do?

    I'm loving all the different approaches to this project though, must make it hard to give out marks!

    ReplyDelete