Thursday, March 25, 2010

YouTube experimental encoding

I've been producing some videos for the local paper's website of late, and I've been playing around with encoding settings again for YouTube in Premiere Pro.

For the sake of meeting the recommended player size of 1280 x 720, I've gone with packaging my .mov files with the H264 codec as we did back in the CMNS6040 days. Ah CMNS6040, what awesome fun that was. And I really don't like to use the word awesome unless I feel that it's necessary.



Looks bloody horrible of course, but meh...what can you do when YouTube decides to enlarge their players, except comply.

I haven't had much luck tweaking the settings using the H.264 codec itself, although I did find this nifty website called the Streaming Learning Center which explains YouTube's "New" HD Formats quite simply.

Not that I'll need to worry about all this after next week, as I've ordered some new HD equipment. But still, it would be nice for me to finally get the hang of tweaking the settings in Premiere Pro using the H.264 codec. At least down to a 480p size anyway, hate the false advertising using the 1280 x 720 setting. Just coz it's that big, it doesn't actually make it HD!

No comments:

Post a Comment